2013年3月8日 星期五

My Selected Artist- Stella So

What is your understanding/interpretation of the artwork?
So's artwork expresses the memories of old Hong Kong and she tried to capture visual elements along the streets, buildings and culture before they are faded away under the rapid development. What is more, It indicates that the old buildings only exist in the memory and most of them are disappeared already. We should not only pay attention to the old culture, but also strive to preserve there valuable, historical heritages in such a transformed and advanced city.


Do you like the work and why?
I really like her work as it evoked memories of my youth. I used to lived in a old Chinese tenement in Sham Shui Po during my secondary school and it was one of the happiest period ever. People were full of human warmth, like I chitchatted with neighbors, shopkeeper recognized old customers and so on.  The distance between each person was much closer..... Unluckily, my building was included in the clearance project and it was replaced by a fancy private storey-building. These memories arouse when I read her work which captured the disappearing Hong Kong culture and collective memory of our times.

What do you think of other people's(critic/historian/art writers) comment on the work?
歐陽應霽(Writer,Artist)-Stella是新一代土生土長漫畫插畫家中最具有本土意識的一人。她把最沉重的最難解的殘酷現實用最輕鬆最活潑的色彩造型最潑辣的敘述方法放在大家面前,叫大家嘖嘖稱奇地落手落腳地去懷如此新鮮的舊,去動如此真如此深的情。
Most of the comments are very positive and focus on the idea of her work. I agree with the comments that she tried to alert Hong Kong citizen to a growing movement to save Hong Kong's heritage, to protect our local culture from being demolished. Hong Kong people feel actually extraordinarily attached to places which represent collective memory and history for them, like the Star Ferry. 

Please visit her website and blog if you are interested!!
Website: http://www.smstella.com/
Blog: http://stellaso.blogspot.hk/

References:
  1. http://hoodedutilitarian.com/2011/03/two-comics-by-stella-so/
  2. http://hk.asia-city.com/events/article/hong-kong-artist-stella-so
  3. http://www.hkac.org.hk/30th/chi/bio.html
  4. http://www.qagoma.qld.gov.au/cinematheque/current/apt7_cinema/mountains_and_waters_chinese_animation_since_the_1930s/hong_kong_contemporary_animation

1 則留言:

  1. Haha, I love reading comics. The comics’ elements attract me. The way she draws contains much information that requires me to focus on…but I enjoy doing that. As a ’post 90s’, I don’t know much the things in the old Hong Kong. But after I watched "very fantastic", I seems entered to a dream and I witnessed the changes of Hong Kong. The peace and warmth in the past is fading but I can’t help this general drift. I agree what歐陽應霽 mentioned, Stella used lively way to present this helpless situation and gave a deep thoughts to viewers. And her works really stir Hongkongers’ emotion of the fading collective memories.
    Sylvia, CHEUNG Hiu Tung

    回覆刪除